Friday, December 12, 2014

So, You Didn't Catch The Bouquet...


Working at a restaurant, I have had the "privilege" to serve a few weddings over the past 7 years. For everyone at the wedding, it's a celebration of two lives coming together. For most of the waitstaff, it's a sweet reminder of their own weddings or dreaming of their wedding to come. For me, it's a nightmare! Being born a cynical pessimist, I never thought I would get married; I remember, when I was younger, the laughs and strange looks I would get when I told people I was never going to get married. They all would pat me on the head and say, "Of course you will dear," "God has a special guy out there just for you," or "You'll change your mind when you meet someone." The thing is, as I move further out of my teen years and into my late twenties, I can't help but think, was I right all along? What if the ramblings of a silly tomboy who thought boys had cooties was right? What if I never will get married?

Everyday I see couples holding hands, watch show after show about wedding dresses, and have to hear about every person my age getting married (or dare I say, having babies!) And all I can think is, "is that ever going to happen to me?"
 While it is true that God does have a plan for everyone, I understand that, not everyone's plan includes getting married at 25, having 2.5 children by 28, retiring at 65 and moving to Florida. Some people (lots of people) will have a totally different path in life! And a big part of your life is excepting that, maybe the so-called "American Dream" isn't part of the plan God has for you. Maybe there is something more for your life! More for my life!

And here comes the pity comments, "Of course it will happen to you!" "You're going to meet a great guy someday!" "Just be patient!"
But what if you're wrong?
Lots of women never get married! One of my heroes,  Jane Austen was never married! 

And the truth is, I really don't mind! Of course living alone would be depressing and lonely, but I'll get used to it!... (Okay, so that's not really a ringing endorsement,  but I haven't thought out all of the pros yet to dying alone) I'll get a couple dogs... Or whatever.
What I'm trying to say here is that we all have a different path; they all lead to the same destination... (I won't get into that because I will lose my target audience and be forced to start a new blog on the joys of mental illness and other morbid, macabre subjects) But the point is, stop trying to reassure us  single gals that we will definitely find someone someday or that we just have to wait for the right guy... because the truth is, that's simply not true for everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment